Senior software engineer
What is DeadHappy
Tucked away in the heart of Leicester, there’s a business challenging the market and changing attitudes towards death.
This is Dead Happy. This is Life Insurance. Redesigned.
When you walk through the door, into the mill we call home, you will realise that this isn’t ordinary life insurance. One of our favourite quotes is “Suits don’t make you smart”. This sums Dead Happy up pretty well.
So, what will you be a part of?
“World Domination” according to co-founder Phil. Could it be any simpler?
The company wants to develop into all areas of Death services. You’ll play a huge part in this.
Start-Up life isn’t for everyone and Dead Happy is no different. We totally get that.
What are we looking for?
In previous roles you will have designed and built high quality cloud native applications using ReactJS/NextJS, NodeJS and GraphQL. You will be well versed in using AWS and the many services it has to offer. You will have experience (and enjoy) working within a DevOps culture.
Pair programming, continuous delivery, test driven development and incremental design should be your default and the thought of writing code without unit tests should make you shudder. You will most definitely be an advocate of agile and lean ways of working and a DevOps mindset will be at your core. You will have a real passion for solving customer and business problems by working collaboratively with others.
You will be somebody who is happy to get stuck into what you need to do but also get involved in things outside of your specific experience and functional expertise when needed. You will see these as opportunities to grow.
This is a role where collaboration skills are on par with technical skills and your responsibilities will include working with technologists and people from across the business to solve a myriad of problems for our customers. We expect you to have a sense of curiosity to learn how the whole business works to allow you to know where to best apply your skills.
At DeadHappy, we have a culture of autonomy and self-management and we genuinely support everyone’s preferred working habits. We do like our team to see each other in person from time to time, and when you see our office, this will also be a great reason to exercise those social skills.
Technical competencies and experience
Proven experience building NodeJS applications (REST, microservices)
- Building cloud native apps hosted on AWS and knowledge of the various AWS services is key.
- Experience of being involved in Database design
- Experience of working in Microservice based and Event Driven Architectures
- Building highly scalable applications
- Building secure applications (e.g. OWASP top 10)
- Application architecture
- Experience and a strong focus on continuous integration and delivery
- Experience and a passion for built in quality through Test Driven Development and Pair Programming
- Strong working knowledge of Agile and lean methods
- Familiarity with performance monitoring tools
- Experience debugging production issues under pressure
- We are most of the way through migrating from a few remaining PHP (Laravel) services so any experience here is a bonus (but definitely not a requirement)
- A disposition to keep things simple and place the customer at the centre your thinking
- Problem-solving skills that balance pragmatic technology choices with innovation to solve customer problems and business needs
- A passion for data and a determination to hold us all accountable for always treating customer data with the utmost respect (in line with GDPR principles)A collaborator who can work independently but prioritises the team over self and leaves your ego at the door
- Willing to get your hands dirty to unblock and enable the whole team
- Thrives working in an agile / lean way and an ability and enjoyment of working at pace
- A healthy tolerance for ambiguity that comes with fast paced digital workplaces and start-ups
- A built-in motivation to keep yourself up to date with emerging technology and to share knowledge with your colleagues
- A belief in failing fast, trying lots of things out, and taking quick action when you learn what works and what doesn’t
What are we not looking for?
In one word… egos. We’re a young business, so along with the grand designs and building systems there’s all sorts of mundane stuff that will need to get done and we don’t have a big team to do it. We need someone who will get stuck in and isn’t afraid of doing a bit of everything.
Why work at DeadHappy?
Working at DeadHappy won’t be for everyone. We’re a young business and have a start-up environment, we’re highly motivated and focused on growing our product, our tech platforms and hitting product-market fit. That means getting stuck into what you need to do but also getting involved in things outside of your experience and functional expertise. We have a pretty cool office in the heart of Leicester, and we do like to meet up with our colleagues to socialise and collaborate face-to-face. That said, our culture is one of high autonomy and high trust and we believe that the right people are grown up enough to figure out how to balance what works for them and for DeadHappy in order to get the job done. We support all the usual working preferences that you would expect in any sensible business (e.g. remote working, flexible hours, flexible leave). It will be an adventure, we’ll all learn a huge amount along the way, and the best news is that we’ll also pay you some money. If you are ambitious, looking to progress and want to create something different and better in the Life Insurance and Death Services space, we have big plans for growth, so there will be plenty of opportunities for developing a career in a range of directions for the committed candidate.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to [email protected].Apply now