Head of finance
Tucked away in the heart of Leicester, there’s a business challenging the market and changing attitudes towards death.
This is Dead Happy. This is Life Insurance. Redesigned.
When you walk through the door, into the mill we call home you will realise that this isn’t ordinary life insurance. One of our favourite quotes is “Suits don’t make you smart”. This sums Dead Happy up pretty well.
So, what will you be a part of?
“World Domination” according to Phil, the co-founder. Could it be any simpler?
The company wants to develop into all areas of Death services. You’ll play a huge part in this.
Start Up life isn’t for everyone and Dead Happy are no different. We totally get that.
What are we looking for?
We want a motivated and driven individual to join as Head of Finance to own the Financial management and reporting for DeadHappy.
What will you be doing?
- Leading on all financial areas of the business, including forecasting, reporting, management accounts, grant applications, financial modelling, partnership pricing and invoicing, regular KPI and performance monitoring, HMRC and FCA returns, and overseeing payroll and day-to-day accounting
- Working closely day to day with the Execs and partners across all areas of the business, including Growth (Marketing), Tech and Product.
- Regularly forecasting and managing cash flow
- Supporting fundraising processes
- Giving updates / presentations at quarterly board meetings and liaising with investors on ad hoc finance queries
- Managing the due diligence process for new investors
- Being point of contact for crowdfunding investors – providing regular updates and responses to ad hoc queries
- Inputting into strategic decision-making / idea generation
- Leading the internal remuneration committee
- Providing detailed LTV / CAC analysis and reviewing this on a regular basis
- Liaising with external accountants to complete statutory accounts and tax return, and on the implementation of the Dead Happy EMI scheme
- Provide guidance to and support of Finance Assistant
What are we not looking for?
In one word… egos. We’re a young business so along with the grand designs and managing partners there’s all sorts of mundane stuff that will need to get done and we don’t have a big team to do it. We need someone who will get stuck in and isn’t afraid of doing a bit of everything.
Most important of all: we’re looking for someone with boundless energy and determination to grow the business and make the most of all opportunities as well as having the creativity and drive to make new ones.
- A good working knowledge of partnerships in the financial sectors and knowledge of brand importance and integrity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an eye for detail and the ability to interact well with others.
- An excellent multi-tasker with time management skills to match. You’ll be juggling quite a few things at any one time, probably with different deadlines
- The ability to demonstrate passion about something and the ability to influence other people to feel strongly about it too.
- Enthusiasm & knowledge (and at least to have the willingness to learn about life insurance!)
- Being very comfortable interacting with other live human beings but also happy in your own company.
- Self-sufficiency, pro-activeness and to be at your best when given responsibility to just get on with stuff.
- A belief in failing fast, trying lots of things out, and taking quick action when you learn what works and what doesn’t
- Enthusiasm to do more, even if it’s technically not your job.
Working at DeadHappy won’t be for everyone. We’re a new and fast growing business. We work in a start-up environment which is highly motivated and focused on delivering innovative world-class services, with a website and tech platform to match. That means getting stuck into what you need to do but also getting involved in things outside of your experience and functional expertise.
We have a brand new office with some really friendly colleagues and a huge opportunity for someone to get involved in something we all believe will be very successful. It will be an adventure, we’ll all learn a huge amount along the way, and the best news is that we’ll also pay you some money.
If you’re ambitious, looking to grow and learn, and want to build something awesome, then your search is over.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to [email protected] or use the button below.Apply now